Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful for Etsy :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Now, I know, that only counts for those of us in the USA  - but it's still an excellent reminder to be thankful for all the good things in our lives.  I, for one, am extremely for having found www.etsy.com! To give a little back story:

I love jewelry, despite the fact that I grew up a tom-boy! I first learned how to do wire-wrapped jewelry around 10 years ago, and I remember spending hours and hours working making chains of links, and dreaming of someday selling in a craft fair or open market.  I never really thought it would happen though.  At the time I still wasn't very coordinated and it took me a LONG time to make a bracelet or necklace!

Fast forward - time goes on - and I learned some new jewelry techniques and began to seriously dream of selling jewelry.  This was about two years ago.  I wasn't really sure what to do though.  I had some friends and family really encouraging me, but I didn't have any idea how to start!  Plus life was really busy.

Then, about a year ago, I started getting really sick. That's a long story, but the result was that I had a lot of time on my hands where I ended up making jewelry, because it was something I could do sitting still.  After a few months of that, one of my friends introduced me to etsy, and the rest was history!

Ok, not quite, it's been a lot of hard work and I've learned a LOT since I opened up shop in May. It's hard to start making a dent in the jewelry world, because there are a lot of other artists out there, but I have had sales on etsy!


I'm really thankful for having this opportunity, especially since my health problems have continued! I'm also extremely excited, because I know I've learned a lot in the last year about my craft - here's a few of the pieces I'm the most proud of!







I know I have a lot more to learn - but see - that's something else to be thankful for! Because I have another year ahead of me with lots of opportunities to learn new things, expand my business, and make new friends!

Want to know what else I'm thankful for? Check out what I said on my other blogs!

Thankful for friends.
Thankful for family.

8 comments:

SpiritMama said...

***Award Notification!***

Because your blog rocks and so do you, I have bestowed you with the coveted Marie Antoinette award!

The rules of the game are posted at SpiritMama-Art.blogspot.com

Memories for Life said...

They say as one door closes, another is opened. I am sorry to hear about your sickness, but glad it lead you to Etsy...another door opened :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

BeadedTail said...

I enjoyed reading this today! Congratulations on your sales so far and wishing you many more!

Paisley The Jackabee said...

Great post! Happy Thanksgiving!

uniquecommodities said...

Thanks for sharing! Glad we met! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Kate said...

This post makes me pretty happy. :)

storybeader said...

learn more about Rose Works Jewelry in an interview she gave to the storybeader at http://storybeader.blogspot.com/2008/11/etsy-artisan-interview-rose-works.html

Hi Ruthie! {:-D

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Thanks guys - and Story - you did an awesome job on the interview!