Friday, February 27, 2009

Etsy and Me

Hey everyone! Before I dive into this blog post - I just wanted to say that my migraines are back full force. My couple of good days seems to have been a fluke. BUT the good news is we're trying more things, and I figured out how to get my lap top set up on the couch to use when I'm stuck flat on my back. So hopefully I'll be able to get more consistent about blogging...although adding new things to my shop is still going to be hard.

This weeks etsy blogger carnival is all about why you got started on etsy and what you think about etsy.

I found etsy through a friend. This was around a year ago, and my health had been rapidly declining for a few months. This gal saw me working on my jewelry when she'd come over to hang out and told me I should try selling. Well, she wasn't the first person to tell me that, but she was the first to introduce me to etsy!

Long series of events later - I found myself opening up my shop on May 5th, 2008. I was so excited and so nervous all at the same time! It seemed like there was a never ending stream of information to learn- and you know it still feels that way sometimes. Slowly but surely I got my feet under me, and a lot of that was because I met a few awesome people who were willing to help me find my way.

Now I have two shops on etsy. The first is my jewelry shop. I haven't has as many sales as I'd like, but I love that I have made sales! I've made enough to keep me going :) Besides, I LOVE making jewelry, so what else would I do with all the stuff I create?

Etsy
Buy Handmade
roseworksjewelry


My second shop is one I share with my Mom. I haven't been able to do as much to develop this shop as I'd like because of the migraines - but once I can get rid of those my Mom and I have lots of ideas! We've always been close - but it's been fun to have this to talk about :)

Etsy
Buy Handmade
kstreasures


While I love etsy - I'm also well aware that there are limitations to it. It can be hard to get recognition on etsy because it's grown so fast and they haven't always done the best job at allowing people to get time and recognition. Also my main market, jewelry, is very saturated no matter where you go, so that's just hard to sell in general.

I do love the people I've met on etsy and the friends that I've made!

Will I stay with etsy? Yes. Will I ever open up shop on another venue? I'd like to. I need to get a little more consistency to my health first though. For now, I have enough work with two shops and two blogs :)

11 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Sorry to hear about your migraines returning. I hope they subside soon! Great story on how you came to be on Etsy and now with another shop with your mom - exciting! Wishing you continued success!

TiLT said...

Well, I for one am glad you found etsy & will be staying...I don't always find someone who actually gets my humor :P

Kristin said...

So sorry to hear about the migraines.. I did enjoy reading about your experience on Etsy, and am interested in what future venues you may try. It does sound like you are going to take care of you first.. which is most important!

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

I love my Etsy friends too!

I tagged you in 6 things that make me happy

http://akeepersjackpot.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-thoughts.html

KayzKreationz said...

So sorry about your migraines. I too suffer with them, but sounds like not as much as you do. You have adorable things in your shop. Loved your post about finding etsy.
http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com
http://KayzKreationz.etsy.com

Memories for Life said...

I wish my mom was crafty so we could open a shop together. How great that you and your mom have this to share :)

storybeader said...

that's great that your mom and you have a shop. You don't have to be in the same building, to be in business together. Isn't the internet wonderful?

Great post! Hope your migraines disappear, POOF, out of your life!

P and J Crafts said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your migraines. Hope you feel better soon. I've wondered, too, about other venues. Not sure if and when I'll ever try something else. But, I do think about it.

When you feel like it, check out my blog for an award. www.pandjcrafts.etsy.com

Hugs,
Julie

P and J Crafts said...

Well, I think I fried my brain with all the messages I've sent out today. I meant to put my blog address, not my Etsy one. www.pandjcrafts.blogspot.com

Julie

CandyCrack said...

Sorry to hear about the migraines, those are simply no fun. I hope they ease up on you soon. Great BC post.

uniquecommodities said...

Great write up! I love Etsy too because I get to meet people like you!