Saturday, November 21, 2009

Featuring the Fab Miss B!!!

I know - I'm a day late on my Friday Featured Artist - but yesterday was a bad day - and I didn't want to risk completely skipping such a fabulous artist! Becky is also our Featured Etsy Blogger of the Month :D

1. What type of art work do you do?

I create Pipettes! They were inspired by vintage ornaments I've collected for ages. They are made with humble chenille pipe cleaners, but I add lots of luxe embellishments like silk ribbons, antique lace, mother of pearl buttons, feathers, sequins and vintage costume jewelery. Their heads are all carefully hand painted too.


I also love to paint and am constantly making new illustrations, which I sell as prints and greeting cards. The originals are watercolor and ink and they are always whimsical and even a bit silly!


2. How did you get started doing art work?


Ever since I was little, I loved to draw and make things with my hands. The Pipettes originated when I decided to make a pipe cleaner bride and groom for our wedding cake three years ago. I've been making them ever since and they've gone through lots of changes! They've become more elaborate and sophisticated.
3. Do you do any other crafts?


I was trained as a florist while I lived in Chicago, so here and there I dabble in making floral corsages and crowns. I just outfitted an entire wedding party for a dear friend! I also like to cook and take photographs.


4. Is there a story behind your shop name?


My husband and I love to travel and are lucky to have lived all over the world- Kenya, Uganda, China, Chicago, Las Vegas, and now we're trying out life on an island- The Big Island of Hawaii!


We adopted our funny last name- Kazana- while traveling in Africa just after getting married. It's a Swahili word that means "To make a home" and it reminds us that our home is where the other is.


5. What's your favorite piece in your shop right now?


I'm madly in love with Daschshunds- someday I'd love to have a whole gaggle of them running around a farm. But for now, hanging Daisy on my Christmas tree is as close as I can get!


6. Where do you sell your work?
I have two shops on etsy. One for my original Chenille Pipette Dolls and artwork:


and one for Vintage and One of a Kind Finds:


7. Do you blog?

I blog about the inspiration I find around me every day on The Fab Miss B:


Swing by and say hello! I love to meet new folks!

8. Are you on any social networks you'd like to share?

Let's be friends! Here is my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/people/Becky-Larson/1047722678


9. Do you watch or listen to anything while you work? If so, what?

I love listening to music while I work. I often use Pandora radio (http://www.pandora.com), where you can create stations based on your musical preferences. Right now I'm listening to Julie London Radio non-stop. I can't help but create glamorous Pipettes when listening to all those amazing chanteuses from the 40's, 50's and 60's.


10. Tell us one random fact about your self *wink*

I adore champagne and never save it for special occasions. It's far too wonderful for that!

1 comment:

BeadedTail said...

Great feature Ruthie! My post on her is scheduled for tomorrow and we chose two of the same items. Great minds think alike!