Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tuesday's Tips #5


Can you guess what today's tips are about? That's right - joining teams and guilds! I chose banners from two of my favorite teams to start out this post today. The Etsy Bloggers and the The Stalkers. I'm on several other teams (more on that later) but these two hold special places in my heart! The bloggers because they are the team I have been a part of the longest, they have some awesome people, and they feel like family :) I'm still pretty new to the Stalkers over on Artfire, but I love the mission of promoting others, without telling them what we're doing! 

Ok, enough about me, WHY am I bringing up teams and guilds? Because I think that they are a very important part of the selling experience. 

If you remember last weeks tips I talked about making connections through your blog. Well, another important place to make connections is in the communities that you sell in. Forums can be great tools as well, but I think that teams and guilds provide the core of the support you need.

Simply put, most teams exist for a purpose. It might be to promote a particular type of art or craft, it might be a unified passion, it might even be a common location, but whatever it is you are likely to be surrounded by a community of people who have similar interests. If you have a question or need support, these are the best people to turn to! I've learned a lot from my various team mates and I consider it to have been invaluable experience. 

I also know that MANY of my sales have been either direct sales too or trades with team mates. Now how great is that?

Before I say anything more I should say that I don't know as much about other selling venues. I'm on etsy and artfire - but look around whatever other sites your on and see if they have teams or guilds or something similar! 

So how do you find the team/guild that's right for you?

1. Location based is always a great way to start. It's the best way to find out about local events and resources.

2. Does your shop specialize in something? Like jewelry, paintings, cards, or knitting? Well there's probably a team all about YOUR medium! Which can be great for personal growth in your artwork :)

3. Do you have a passion like blogging, being a Mom, or living green? That's right, there's teams for that too.

Things to look at when choosing teams to join:

1. What are their requirements? Do you meet them?

2. What do they require of active members? Is it going to put to much on your plate?

3. Is it an active team? Or is it just kinda sitting there doing nothing? A team that's really active might be too much for you if your schedule is full, but on the flip side there's really not much point in joining a team that's completely stagnated.

Now since I'm talking about teams and guilds I want to give a shout out to my teams and guilds! Before I do...just be aware that I'm a stay at home disabled woman ... therefore I have more time on my hands than most of you!

On Etsy:
 ~ The Etsy Bloggers - because we love to blog and we love each other! Search "etsybloggers team" to find our stuff :)

~ Team Big Damn Crafters - geeks who love the show Firefly and love to create new items inspired by the show! Search "teambdc" to find our stuff :)

~ The Etsy Bead Weavers - because we love to work with tiny little beads to create beautiful creations :) Search "ebwc" to see our monthly challenge item and follow our blog to vote in the challenge each month! Search "ebw" to see the rest of the teams incredible work :)

On Artfire: Still getting to know these guys - but having fun!
~ The Stalkers - Not as scary as it sounds! Each week our fearless leader picks a different shop - and we all go out to promote it! I love doing this :) 

~ Pacific Northwest - There's that local connection I was talking about!

~ Blogfire - Um, did I mention that I love to blog? I missed the last carnival and I was sooo sad :(

~ Artfire Beadweavers Guild - Haven't really had a chance to get to know these guys yet, but I love to weave beads so there I am!

So what teams are YOU on? 

9 comments:

BeadedTail said...

This is a fabulous tip because I certainly agree that teams are very important when selling online! I'm a member of the EtsyBloggers, Etsy Angels and Etsy for Animals and all have introduced me to wonderful people such as yourself! It's also fun to have the support and the knowledge base when it's so easy to feel alone on the internet.

storybeader said...

great post. Let me see, teams? When I first came to Etsy, I started off with the OKETSYs (Oklahoma Etsy). Then I met the Etsybloggers and it was love at first site {{blush}}. I was happy to find a blogging guild on Artfire, who also have a carnival.

I opened a shop on 1000markets a few months ago. The site is divided into marketplaces, which have about 50-200 artists. Four of which I'm involved in: 1)Jewelry Artisan Marketplace, 2)Bejeweled Arcade, 3)Passport, and 4)Mind-Body-Spirit. Great artists! There are forums and blogs for each of these marketplaces.

Memories for Life said...

Teams are a great way to connect...you're so right!
Anytime I have a question, I go straight to my bloggin' family and get the help I need :)

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

You have listed some great teams! I did join the vintage team although they are not super active. I will have to look up the Etsybloggers though...new one to me! As always, thanks for the good tips!

SecondChanceChicken said...

EtsyBloggers ROCK! Tons of help and support. I even got help with my blog html to make 3 columns.
I also like FEST - Florida etsy street team. Very friendly group.
I need to join a sewing group. Any suggestions?

TiLT said...

I started with the local area teams too - great beginning. Some of the others I just stumbled across - and so happy that I did.

I think I may have one active team too many though - The Stalkers...I haven't been up to doing what you are supposed too. Have you ever had to drop a team?

JewelryWorksbyKim said...

I have only joined one team so far, Etsy Bloggers. I am still learning about Teams as I go.

crazyladyglass said...

Great post! I owe my joining Etsy Bloggers to you and getting my blog rolling again. I still have a lot to learn and I know I can do that with Etsy Bloggers.

Adaptable Kay said...

Right now, I'm on the Vintage Market Team but I feel really bad because I don't have a lot of time to devote to being a member >.<
I think when I get well and have the time, I will go join some others on Etsy.
Great tip by the way :D