Friday, October 10, 2008

Relaxation and Therapy :)

Our current etsy bloggers blog carnival is about:

1). Work: Blog about anything to do with your work (past, present or future) which is outside of Etsy.

OR

2). Relax: Blog about what you do to relax.

I'm going to talk a little bit about both because they are rather intertwined in my life right now.  Do to severe asthma and other health problems I'm currently unable to hold a normal job.  We're looking for alternative sources of work that I could do, but for now my work is helping my husband with his job search, handling our paperwork, and keeping the house clean when I'm breathing well enough to move around.  That and running my etsy store!  I do consider this a job and I push myself hard to focus on promoting and growing my shop every day.  I take it very seriously because I know that if there's any hope of this business ever making enough to help with the bills I'm going to have to work at it!  And, we don't know at this point how much or if my health will improve, it would be really nice if the business picked up :)  Not counting on it yet - but dreaming and pushing for sure!

The jewelry business is also what I do to relax though! When I need a break from dealing with insurance companies and other paperwork that gives me a headache - I turn to the etsy forums, entrecard, and creating jewelry.  I love chit-chatting with everyone :)  Not only does it build connections that can potential lead to sells (that's my hard-nosed business woman side talking) I love the relationships that I've formed! The ladies on etsy are some of the best out there and I've really found a lot of support through them :)

Creating the jewelry itself is my ultimate relaxer and therapy.  I started up this business originally to try to support my "habit" (I sound like a druggy!).  When I started getting sick last Winter I was forced to start a life-style of sitting still - a lot.  You can't move around much when you spend hours struggling to breathe!  And I'm one of those weird people who's asthma attacks can last for hours - even all day sometimes.  So, to combat the cabin fever I was getting, I started working on learning to do the bead-weaving better.  As I cranked out more pieces, and began to work on my other jewelry mediums again, the business was born! 

So there you have it, Jewelry is my work and my relaxation therapy all in one :) Some times it's a lot of work, other times its a lot of relaxation, but I love it all the time!





10 comments:

agoodwitchtoo said...

Another who "works" to relax :) But at least it's work we actually love to do!

Lenox Knits said...

My knitting really helps me to combat my anxiety problems. I really don't know where I'd be without it. I'm glad you've found a way to use your passion to help you through your hard times.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, I have asthma, too. Believe it or not, exercise helps (assuming you can breathe well enough to begin doing it!) -- I hope you get it under control enough to reach this point.

For me, it's writing that relaxes me. Sinking into some fiction about my fictional band... that's paradise. I understand where you're coming from.

BeadedTail said...

I'm glad you relax by being chatty in the forums! You are a joy to talk to and you help us all get better just by being you! And your jewelry is lovely too!

I noticed you saw your award on my blog before I had a chance to tell you! I stayed up too late chatting in those dang forums so didn't get to you before you got to me today!!

storybeader said...

I wish you all the good luck in growing your business. I love my job, and now - my jewelry business - has become a second job. A little tiring, working 2 jobs, but I love it, all the same.

Unknown said...

You know, it is such a lucky thing to love one's job! I've never "loved" any job I ever had until I started blogging, and it's a whole different thing to work AND love what you do! Glad you've found work that you love! :-)

joeyandaleethea said...

It's really wonderful to love your work, a blessing actually, and it's obvious that you definitely love what you do. Great photo of that piece too!

panoptica said...

you are one of the best around etsy ruthie!!! **hugs**

insurance companies **agh**.. i feel for you!!!!

LazyTcrochet said...

I work to relax also. Good luck to you!

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Great post -- thanks so much for sharing! I totally hear you about supporting your 'habit' and I too find relaxation in my Etsy work and Etsy world. Thank goodness for that, huh? Best of luck to you!!!