Sunday, August 16, 2009

Earth Walker - Bead Woven Necklace - Elements Series 4


I started the Elements series about a year ago with Saffron's Firebird Necklace. Since then I've fallen in love with the pattern! I start with a Potawatomi weave base and then use netting techniques for the rest of the pattern.

It takes 4-5 hours to make one of these necklaces and hundreds of seed beads. The actual project takes longer though when you include planning, dreaming, and finding the right beads! Sometimes it's hard to find colors that work well together.

For this last piece in the Elements series, Earth Walker, I used browns and greens. To me the Earth element needs to be represented both by the actual ground itself, and the living things it nourishes. I tried to show that in the progression of colors that I chose.


The clasp was actual the hardest part of this necklace for me! I couldn't find a hook that was the right color, so I ended up making my first hook :) I bought bronze wire and played with it until it looked right.

This necklace is available in both my Etsy shop and my Artfire :)




11 comments:

Glenda of Dax Designs said...

What a remarkably fluid piece - its etherial, outer space and beautiful. Glenda of Dax Designs

Anonymous said...

Amazing Gorgeous Piece!!!!!!

Memories for Life said...

Absolutely stunning! I can tell lots of love and work went into this piece!

Meri Greenleaf said...

I mentioned this before, but it's absolutely lovely! :D And that's so cool that you made the hook for it- I had no idea; it looks so professional!

BeadedTail said...

Absolutely incredible Ruthie! You are so talented!

Dawn N said...

The colors flow beautifully. The hook you made is great.

TiLT said...

gorgeous! and I do love the color combo

storybeader said...

great looking necklace, Ruthie! Looks like a lot of work went into that! {:-D

Splendid Little Stars said...

beautiful necklace and the hook
looks great!

Cindy Caraway said...

This is really pretty! It look slight and airy - so comfortable to wear :)

Meghann said...

Absolutely stunning as always :)