Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday's Featured Artist - Little Studio Photography and Jewelry

I was trying to remember this morning where I first met Meg, but I'm not really sure! I think it was back when I was using Entrecard, but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, I soon realized that I had discovered a wonderful artisan with a huge heart. I'm excited to be able to feature her here this week!
1. What type of art work do you do?

I make handcrafted jewelry and do photography

2. How did you get started doing art work?

I started making jewelry in high school so that I could get the pieces I wanted at the prices I could afford, with quality (remember that word??), and continued off and on until I got fibromyalgia. I got so sick I couldn’t work outside of my home so I started my jewelry full time to try and make some income. I haven’t looked back!

My photography started just before high school: I went on a cross country trip with my friend (6 weeks in a minivan woo!) and my mom got me a little point and shoot camera with a roll of film per week. I took some great photos and I was bitten by the bug :)

3. Do you do any other crafts?

Oh I do many crafts; I think it is the ADD. I love to knit and crochet, I love to draw and paint, I love to make homemade soaps, candles and body products, though they take quite a bit of time so I don’t do it often – usually for special Christmas gifts and that sort of thing.

4. Is there a story behind your shop name?

I wanted a name that was friendly and inviting, but not too homey and unprofessional-sounding. I have a very small room to use as my studio and that is really how it came about – a “little studio” for me to work in…sort of cheesy, but now it is done and I can’t change it :)

5. What's your favorite piece in your shop right now?

ACK! That is hard! I really like this ring I recently finished…It has my birthstone in it, so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised! (featured to the right)

I also am completely in love with my NeoAmour Collection – Inspired by powerful women of the past but designed for women of today. I love the femininity and style of the pieces – not too girly but definitely pretty and they make you feel like a queen yourself when you put them on

6. Where do you sell your work?




7. Do you blog?

I love to blog! I have several blogs: http://www.meglittlestudio.blogspot.com
http://www.fibrodiaries.blogspot.com This one is a duplicate of my meglittlestudio blog for those who for whatever reason can’t see my main one :) http://www.lowallergykitchen.blogspot.com for recipes catering to people with food allergies

8. Are you on any social networks you'd like to share?



9. Do you watch or listen to anything while you work? If so, what?

I love to listen to music while I create – classical, Celtic, or simple slow music – I find that fast music just makes me want to get up and sing and dance!

10. Tell us one random fact about your self *wink*

I can write in mirror image almost as well as I can write normally….however, as my handwriting is truly abysmal, that isn’t really saying much!

Want a great deal on her incredible jewelry? Well your in luck! Right now she has a 20% off sale running in her shop!

8 comments:

Meghann said...

Thank you so much Ruthie, this is fantastic - I'm smiling from ear to ear :)

BeadedTail said...

Wonderful feature on Meghann! I always enjoy learning more about her. She's a very talented and caring artist!

storybeader said...

what a nice array of jewelry - that bracelet with the lampwork beads is beautiful - don't remember seeing it before. I'm always interested in how people get their names - I'm glad you ask! Great interview!

Beth said...

Wonderful feature! I do believe I have found yet another jewelry designer to covet things from!

Leather Made Nice said...

Lovely blog post, Ruthie. Meghann sounds like a very charming and talented lady. The item in the first picture is truly beautiful.
Anne ^i^

Jess // CLineCreations said...

I can definitely see Meg's photography experience in the pictures of her jewelry! What a great feature.

Erika said...

I like that last bracelet--how creative she seems in her execution!

Memories for Life said...

Her work is awesome! I love the ring I got from her :)