Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday's Featured Artist - WhiMSy Love

I first met Nikki when I was still a relatively new member of Etsy. At that point in time I lived in Eastern WA, and we were both a part of the Eastern WA Etsy Team! I've always admired her zest for life, her sense of humor, and her imaginative art work :)

1. What type of art work do you do?

I create ALL kinds of handmade stuff. But mostly I'm drawn to vintage items: buttons, books, fabrics, trim, papers, etc.
So there's usually a bit of something of that sort mixed in with whatever I'm making.


2. How did you get started doing art work?

I have always been a crafty gal. When I was a kid, my mom pretty much encouraged craftiness wherever & whenever. She is admittedly not a crafty person, but she allowed me to pursue whatever creative thoughts I had. I pretty much never remember a time when I didn't have the handmade itch.


3. Do you do any other crafts?

I make button rings. I fold books into art. I twist forks into easels. I paint. I sew. I glue things... I can't choose just one thing, so I do it all!


4. Is there a story behind your shop name?

I originally had the name "WhiMSy" while my mom & I sold vintage items, collectibles & some handmade things in a small space in an antique mall. When I signed up to have a shop on Etsy I guess that name was already taken. So, I added the "love". And I figure that those 2 words (WhiMSy & love) describe perfectly my style of handmade craft AND my personality:sometimes a goofball (WhiMSy) & sometimes very girly & romantic (love).


5. What's your favorite piece in your shop right now?

I love the Vintage Button Rings. They're happy little treats & fun to make. I have a "thing" for old buttons & wear one of my button rings almost every day! (My button rings were also mentioned in the July issue of Glamour Magazine: the Greek Edition!)

6. Where do you sell your work?

I mostly sell my work on Etsy, at http://whimsylove.etsy.com Some of my items are sold in a few shops online. Most recently my Writing on the Wall Book Art is being sold at the Bellevue Art Museum. I have yet to approach local boutiques to sell my stuff. I'm either too busy as a mom or too chicken. (Or both?)


7. Do you blog?

Oh YES I blog!! I LOVE blogging! http://whimsy-girl.blogspot.com I feel like my blog is the backstage pass into WhiMSy love & my crafty little world. I love writing, taking pictures & making stuff & so those 3 things combine to create a nifty little blog!


8. Are you on any social networks you'd like to share?

I have a twitter account http://twitter.com/whimsylove & a flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/whimsy_girl/ . That's about as social as I get right now. My Etsy shop, blogging & corresponding to emails all day keep me pretty busy. (Not to mention 2 wee kidlets that need my attention every once in a while!)


9. Do you watch or listen to anything while you work? If so, what?

Sometimes I'll spread my projects on the floor of my art studio & watch old game shows (that's one of the only channels I get on my TV). Or I'll get all cozy on the couch & watch a movie when I'm making something. When I am blogging or on the computer, I'll listen to music.


10. Tell us one random fact about your self *wink*

How 'bout MORE than one? It's more fun that way, right?
I love s'mores to an obsession, I wish I were brave enough to wear a fauxhawk, & I bite my fingernails

10 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Her work is so fun! Love the owls! I enjoyed reading this feature and now I want a s'more!

Linda B said...

The fork easels are so fun.

Linda B

Samantha said...

I have been a big fan of Nikki's for a while now! Check out these badges in her shop, inspired by the movie UP, so great!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29623091

TiLT said...

I found her fork easels a while back - it's great to read about her - thanks :)

Cupcake Mama said...

I have been "friends" with Nikki for almost a year now...love her ideas and willingness to share hints.

Emmanuelle said...

Those forks are so great!

scrappysue said...

nik's awesome and oh so crafty! great interview

xashee's corner said...

it is so nice getting to know you a bit better! Thank you for ALLL that you share! have an AWESOME weekend! :D

Memories for Life said...

So many fun and different items :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

What fun stuff she makes! great feature!