Thursday, August 20, 2009

Snowflake - The First Attempt

In looking around at blogs lately, and talking to various sellers, I've started thinking about Christmas a little bit. Last night specifically I e-mailed Mom to see if she wanted to make some crocheted snowflakes for the upcoming Christmas season. Well that got me thinking - why can't I make something like that in beads?

I rejected my first idea. I've seen some lovely snowflakes made from wire frames that you simply string the beads on, and sure, I could do that but...

What I really wanted to do was make something that was made from seed beads. I wanted to make something up that was all my own pattern. I wanted to experiment. Here's the first attempt.

Sorry it's a little bit blurry, but my hands are kinda shaky from asthma meds right now. I think my basic principle is sound, but I'm going to make some changes whenever I attempt the next one.

First of all, I want the initial "circle" to be closer in to the center. I also want there to be some "spikes" come out more on the outer rim, and more "lacy bits" in the center...

If that makes any sense to you - kudos!

All in all, I think my first attempt at least looks snowflake-ish, and I learned a lot from the two hour process of fighting with it! What do you think?

9 comments:

Meri Greenleaf said...

That's cool, and definitely a good start to snowflake making! :D I've made them before where I string seed beads onto fishing line and string that kind of like a dreamcatcher in a wire frame, but I've never done anything like that where it's free-standing. (Well, I tried crocheting them before; that was a disaster, LOL! I can't work very small thread, I've found.)

Dawn N said...

I've made some beaded snowflakes before but it wasn't my design. I stiffened them with Future floor wax to make ornaments.

BeadedTail said...

I think that looks great for your first attempt! I actually understood what you were saying on how you want it to look!

Splendid Little Stars said...

makes total sense. Happy snowflake making!

Foxan said...

Great first attempt!
Yeah, soon it is X-mas... ;)

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

I suggest a book. which I believe is called "Snowflake," written by a photographer who takes pictures of snowflakes that are absolutely extraordinary. I bet you'd find it inspiring and informative. I think the guys name is Kenneth Libbrecht.

Kathleen J. said...

Good first attempt and yes you made sense. You also made me want to start crocheting snowflakes again. I haven't done them in a few years.

Patricia C Vener said...

I made a Jewish Star for my niece's kippah several years ago and it naturally looks snow flake like. I used netting an picots. One way to get the inner circle closer into the center would be to start a small circle of beads as if you were going to start a peyote medallion but instead do a netting with those as the base.

--Patricia

Memories for Life said...

That's your own pattern! That's awesome! Can't wait to see the rest :)